New Toys: Loctite & the Bessey Strap Clamp

I took today off work because I knew I was going to want this nice long weekend to snuggle up and read. Well, I’ve already finished a novella and six short stories so I decided to get my butt in gear and do some general organizing and cleaning. One item that has been hanging around (for a couple of years actually) is a gift I bought for my friend Ryan, who thoroughly enjoyed the television show, Dexter.

ThinkGeek, the website that specializes in nerdy gifts, had a coaster set that looked like the glass slide samples Dexter uses in the show. I bought this because I like to give gifts that are both nerdy and utilitarian. Unfortunately, the weather during shipping must have been too cold or perhaps it had been stored somewhere excessively warm, because the glue didn’t hold and when he opened the gift the entire thing fell apart! I was embarrassed, because, well why would I have opened it! ThinkGeek, was apologetic and entirely polite, they refunded the amount to my account but the damage was done and rather than throw away the set (because the coasters themselves were undamaged) I offered to glue the box back together. Skip forward a few years to 2014 and I found it packed among old Christmas decorations.

So, today I finally glued it back together! I used a glue called Loctite (a Henkel company product very similar to standard super glue) and a nifty new tool, the Bessey strap clamp, I got for another project I have in mind but wanted to test first.

Loctite and Strap ClampUltimately, I would choose a different glue – this one worked well enough but I got a dab on my skin and the ‘in case of emergency’ instructions were terrifying (as most glue products will probably be, I’m sure). And I still have a weird feeling patch on the finger where the glue was. The box still feels a little fragile, so if it comes apart again I’ll go straight for the wood glue. As for the strap clamp, excellent. It doesn’t come with instructions per-se, so you have to sort of fiddle with it until something works out, but after about 3-4 flub-ups with trying to get the 90-degree parts to work, it seemed to be functioning as shown in the picture on the package.

Not-A-Pro-Tip: There is this little crank-handle (that you have to install with a screwdriver) that pulls the cord in tighter, but it’s actually twisting the handle (like a standard clamp) that applies the pressure.

I can’t wait to use this on the wedding project I have in mind. 🙂

Share this: